Tips for Visiting the Disneyland Resort with Preschoolers
ANAHEIM, Calif. – There’s nothing like a young child’s first encounter with Mickey Mouse at the Disneyland Resort. As the child’s eyes light up with wonder and amazement, family memories begin, and those memories are sure to last a lifetime. From these cherished character experiences to attractions ideal for toddlers, plus healthy dining options, there’s so much magic for little ones to enjoy.
Another plus for families with small children is the close proximity of both theme parks and the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort, making this a walking resort that’s easy to navigate. Complimentary resources and services also are available to enhance a visit with young children.
- Baby Care and First Aid: In Disneyland Park at the end of Main Street, U.S.A., and in Disney California Adventure Park at Pacific Wharf, guests will find complimentary Baby Care Centers. These comfortable, staffed locations offer nursing rooms, changing rooms, small toilets, feeding areas, bottle warmers and more. First Aid Centers are also available at the end of Main Street, U.S.A. in Disneyland Park and next to the Chamber of Commerce on Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure Park.
- Family-friendly restrooms: Families will find companion restrooms conveniently located throughout both parks. With nine companion restrooms at Disneyland, and five at Disney California Adventure, parents have access to convenient options with this public restroom alternative. These restrooms can be located in the Disneyland app.
- Secured items: Four locker rental locations are available for storing valuable items during a visit, with two in the main entrance plaza, one on Main Street, U.S.A., at Disneyland and another on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure. Parents of young children may benefit from this service by safely stowing items they do not wish to leave in their stroller.
- Stroller rentals: Single and double strollers are available to rent for usage at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. The rental location is outside of the theme parks, just east of the Disneyland Park main entrance.
- Disneyland app: Families can make the most of their visits by using the official Disneyland app.* It offers useful information at guests’ fingertips, including attraction wait times, park hours, entertainment schedules and other useful features. Guests may also use the app to look for character appearances in the park, mobile order food and beverages at select quick-service restaurants, join the walkup list for select table-service restaurants, and much more.
Attractions for toddlers and preschoolers
- Top attractions for toddlers: Families will find countless fun, age-appropriate attractions for preschool-aged children upon their visit. Some of the many options in Disneyland include the all-new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Astro Orbiter, “it’s a small world,” Peter Pan’s Flight and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Disney California Adventure offers family-friendly attractions such as the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Turtle Talk with Crush, Disney Junior Dance Party!, Jessie’s Critter Carousel, The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure and Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
- Mickey’s Toontown: Families and young children can play together and make memories at the reimagined Mickey’s Toontown, which reopened March 19, 2023. This land includes lots of green space to unwind in, interactive play areas, character sightings and delightful dining for guests of all ages.
- Rider Switch: The Rider Switch policy gives both parents a chance to enjoy an attraction a young child may not want to board or may not be tall enough to enjoy. A parent who waits with that child while the other parent rides the attraction may then board the ride with minimal wait time after the first parent exits. Guests may ask a cast member at an attraction’s entrance about this service.
- Height requirements: Some attractions have height requirements to ensure the comfort and safety of all guests. Before visiting, parents may want to measure their small children to limit any surprises upon arrival. Guests will find height requirements for applicable attractions at Disneyland.com and on the official Disneyland app.
- All the Resort’s a stage: For some children, the shows at Disneyland Resort are their first experience with live music and theater. Various performances include the stage production “Tale of the Lion King” and Storytelling at Royal Theatre at Disneyland and “Disney Junior Dance Party!” at Disney California Adventure.
- Magical meetings: Some favorite spots for character encounters are Fantasy Faire, where Disney Princesses interact with guests at Disneyland, and Cars Land, where Mater and Lightning McQueen can be found cruising through Radiator Springs at Disney California Adventure.
- Character dining: Parents and children may enjoy a tasty meal in the company of characters such as Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy or Donald Duck. Four locations currently offer character dining experiences: Goofy’s Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel, Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast Buffet at Storytellers Café in Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Disney Princess Breakfast Adventures at Napa Rose in Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, and Minnie & Friends – Breakfast in the Park at Plaza Inn in Disneyland.
- Delicious healthy meals: Nutritious food and beverage options are an important component for families. The Disney Check symbol on kids’ menus helps parents easily identify healthier dining options that meet Disney nutrition guidelines. For guests seeking to make healthier choices, the Disneyland Resort offers power pack meals designed for children, with snacks such as crackers and carrots.
- Special dietary requests: Table-service restaurants and select quick-service locations across the resort offer allergy-friendly menus to all guests. Guests must speak to a special diets-trained cast member about their allergy-friendly request.** Available at most table-service and select quick-service restaurants, these options help families choose the safest ingredients and alternatives for young children who have common food allergies.
- Guilt-free snacks: With seven locations within Disneyland, and three locations inside Disney California Adventure, fruit carts offer healthy snack options for families looking to refuel between attractions and entertainment. Fresh fruit, yogurt and juice are just some of the options parents will find at these locations.
- Snap the magic: Iconic picture spots across the Disneyland Resort are marked in the Disneyland app, such as the Partners statue in the Central Plaza at Disneyland and the Pixar Pal-A-Round at Disney California Adventure. As children grow older, photos from a special trip to Disneyland become a lasting treasure.
- Get everyone in the picture: Guests with preschool-aged children can easily capture priceless memories with Disney’s PhotoPass Service. Photographers are staffed at iconic locations, character greetings and select dining experiences in both parks. Guests can purchase the Disney Genie+ service on the Disneyland app for access to unlimited Disney PhotoPass photo downloads for the day.
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique: Children ages 3-12 receive the royal treatment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in Fantasyland. In this unique experience, parents may choose from a variety of packages with fun hairstyles, beautiful dresses and photography options. Parents watch the magical transformation unfold as young ones truly believe they are becoming their favorite Disney Princess or a shining knight. Reservations can be made on the Disneyland website and are strongly recommended.
- Special merchandise: Disneyland Resort guests will find many shops with fun merchandise that will help create lasting memories. Parents may pick up their child’s first Mickey Mouse ear hat that can be embroidered with the child’s name or their very first plush of a favorite Disney character. A special souvenir is a sweet reminder of the precious preschool years.
Check the latest entertainment details and schedules at Disneyland.com or the Disneyland mobile app. Entertainment, experiences, and offerings may be modified, limited in availability or unavailable, and are subject to restrictions, and change or cancellation without notice. Both Theme Park reservations and valid admission for the same Park on the same day are required for Park entry. Park reservations are limited, subject to availability and not guaranteed. Park admission and offerings are not guaranteed. Visit Disneyland.com/updates for important information to know before visiting the Disneyland Resort.
*Message, data and roaming rates may apply. Availability subject to handset limitations and features may vary by handset or service provider. Coverage and app stores not available everywhere. If you’re under 18, get your parents’ permission first.
**Guests must speak to a cast member about their allergy-friendly request. While we take steps to help mitigate cross-contact, we cannot guarantee that any item is completely free of allergens. Our allergy-friendly recipes may use highly refined oils, such as soybean oil, and/or ingredients that are processed in facilities that also process allergens. It is ultimately our Guests’ discretion to make an informed choice based upon their individual dietary needs. For more information about allergy-friendly requests, ask to speak with a Special Diets Trained Cast Member upon arrival at the location.
Disneyland Resort Public Relations