ANAHEIM, Calif. (Jan. 15, 2020) – Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the largest single-themed land expansion in Disney history and is already proving wildly popular as guests live their own Star Wars adventures in a galaxy far, far away. Guests join a climactic battle between the Resistance and the First Order in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and take control of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. And while exploring this expansive new land, they can sample galactic food and drink, enter an intriguing collection of merchant shops and encounter some of their favorite Star Wars characters.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has been recognized by several prestigious organizations for excellence in design and execution.
- Academy Award-winning® composer John Williams was nominated for a Grammy by The Recording Academy in the Best Instrumental Composition category for “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Symphonic Suite.”
- The land earned two Thea Awards from the Themed Entertainment Association. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge won Outstanding Achievement – New Park Land, and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run won Outstanding Achievement – Attraction.
- The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions honored the land with three Brass Rings during its annual awards gala in November. Savi’s Workshop won for Best Hard Good Item; Droid Depot won for Best Visual Merchandising; and the lovable Porg won for Best Plush Item.
- The Toy Association nominated the Custom Astromech Units in Droid Depot for 2020 Creative Toy of the Year. These buildable droids were inspired, in part, by young Anakin Skywalker tinkering with C-3PO in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.”
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge was named to TIME’s list of World’s Greatest Places 2019, recognizing destinations that are breaking new ground and leading industry trends.
These accolades and awards speak to an entirely new kind of Disney experience happening every day inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
Disney Parks, Experiences and Products brings the magic of The Walt Disney Company’s powerful brands and franchises—including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, 20th Century Fox and National Geographic—into the daily lives of families and fans around the world to create magical memories that last a lifetime.
When Walt Disney opened Disneyland in Anaheim, California, on July 17, 1955, he created a unique destination built around storytelling and immersive experiences, ushering in a new era of family entertainment. More than 60 years later, Disney has grown into one of the world’s leading providers of family travel and leisure experiences, with iconic businesses including six resort destinations with 12 theme parks and 52 resorts in the United States, Europe and Asia with more than 170,000 cast members; a top-rated cruise line with four ships and plans for three more to be completed in 2021, 2022 and 2023; a luxurious family beach resort in Hawaii; a popular vacation ownership program; and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business; one of the world’s largest children’s publishing brands; one of the world’s largest licensors of games across platforms; more than 300 Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
These experiences are created by Disney Imagineers, the creative force behind experiences found in Disney theme parks, resort hotels, cruise ships and consumer products—including books, games and merchandise.