Serves 6 to 8
CANDY CANE POTS DE CRÈME
1 teaspoon powdered unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
2 cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Crushed peppermint candy
Chocolate peppermint bark
FOR CANDY CANE POTS DE CRÈME:
- Stir together powdered gelatin and water in small bowl; let it sit while cream heats (gelatin will solidify).
- Heat heavy cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Do not bring to a boil.
- Once cream begins to steam, add gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks and sugar until pale in color.
- While whisking continuously, drizzle 1/2 cup of hot cream into egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk remaining egg yolk mixture into hot cream. Turn heat to low.
- Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (155°F), about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chocolate to a large bowl and pour hot cream mixture over chocolate.
- Let sit for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir well (or carefully blend mixture in a blender or using a stick blender).
- Stir in peppermint extract.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Pour into 4-ounce serving cups and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Once pots de crème are firm, use a pastry bag with a star tip to pipe a rosette of whipped cream on top (or dollop whipped cream on top).
- Just before serving, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy and add peppermint bark on top of whipped cream.
Cook’s Note: Traditionally served in little “pots,” get fancy for a party and serve this luxurious pudding in assorted wine or martini glasses. Add a little store-bought biscotti and dessert is done.
What to drink: A late-bottled vintage port.