8 cups cold water
9 cloves garlic, peeled
2 shallots, peeled
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lemon, halved
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 pound small gold potatoes (12 small potatoes)
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 (5.5 ounce) container plain Greek yogurt
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
SMOKED PAPRIKA AÏOLI
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
2 teaspoons chopped chives
1 clove garlic, minced
Canola oil, for frying
1/4 cup capers, drained
1/2 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- Combine water, garlic, shallot, thyme, lemon, salt, and potatoes in stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Smash potatoes gently between two baking sheets until they are in slightly flattened circles.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll smashed potatoes in cornstarch mix and coat on all sides. Place on parchment lined baking pan and freeze for at least 2 hours.
FOR CAPER YOGURT:
- Heat butter in small skillet over medium heat until melted. Add drained capers and cook for 5 minutes. Remove capers from butter and cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine Greek yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and salt in a small bowl. Add reserved capers. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
FOR SMOKED PAPRIKA AÏOLI:
- Combine mayonnaise, smoked paprika, lemon juice and zest, chives, and garlic in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
FOR POTATO SKINS:
- Preheat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
- Drain capers and fry for 3-5 minutes, until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove potatoes from freezer and fry for 3 minutes, until crispy.
- Top potatoes with Manchego cheese, fried capers, and micro cilantro.
- Serve with caper yogurt and paprika aïoli.