Walt Disney on nature’s creatures: “People often ask me where we find our stories about animals… and my answer is that Nature herself writes them. The wonders of nature are endless. Sometimes we can recognize ourselves in animals. That’s what makes them so interesting.”
Overview: Flik and his insect friends from Disney•Pixar’s “A Bug’s Life” have been residents of Disney California Adventure Park since it opened in 2001. “It’s Tough to be a Bug!,” the whimsical, 4-D exploration of the insect world as seen from a bug’s-eye view, was one of the original Disney California Adventure attractions, located in what was then known as Bountiful Valley Farm. Park guests shrink down to the size of a bug at Flik’s Fun Fair and enjoy the attractions, which are designed to delight younger children and their parents.
Don’t miss: The Bug’s Life Theater presents “It’s Tough to Be a Bug!,” featuring special in-theater sensory effects that take the audience to the world of creepy crawlies. The theater also transitions for guests to catch limited time previews of upcoming Disney Studios and Disney . Attractions in Flik’s Fun Fair, such as Flik’s Flyers and Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train, immerse guests in a bug’s point of view. At Princess Dot Puddle Park guests play near a large leaky garden hose, a fun place to get wet.
- It’s Tough to be a Bug!
- Flik’s Fun Fair, featuring
- Flik’s Flyers
- Tuck & Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies
- Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train
- Francis’ Ladybug Boogie
- Princess Dot’s Puddle Park
Dining: Like everything else in Flik’s Fun Fair, the food carts are designed to make guests feel “bug-sized.” Guests purchase drinks from an oversized juice box and churros from a box of “Churros Cereal.”
Imaginative landscaping: The landmark “vegetation” in “a bug’s land” is a jungle of oversized clovers. The clovers are surrounded by living leafy plants cultivated to reinforce the larger-than-life feel of the area that makes guests feel like bugs.
Did you know?
- Many tidbits from the human world are repurposed in Flik’s Fun Fair. Benches appear to have been made of oversized Popsicle sticks. The restrooms are housed in a giant tissue box. The signs indicating direction of travel in Tuck & Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies are large crayons.
- Attractions in Flik’s Fun Fair are open to guests of any age. The exception is Tuck & Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies, which requires that rider/drivers be at least 36 inches tall.
- In the lobby of the Bug’s Life Theater, guests will spot bug-eyed versions of the classic comedy and tragedy masks, over the entrance to the auditorium. The lobby is decorated with posters for shows, such as “A Stinkbug Named Desire,” “Beauty and the Bees” and “Web Side Story.”
- To get from the Bug’s Life Theater into Flik’s Fun Fair, guests pass through an empty box of Cowboy Crunchies cereal, an item that was featured in another Disney•Pixar classic, “Toy Story 2.” The box serves as a gateway between the human world and the bug world of Flik’s Fun Fair.
- The background music in the Bug’s Life Theater isn’t played or sung — it’s buzzed.
- The Bug’s Life Theater has hosted advanced looks at scenes from upcoming films with special in-theater effects. Disney·Pixar’s “Cars 3,” “Moana”, “Zootopia”, “Ant Man” and “The Jungle Book” have all been featured as a limited time engagements.
Cast member tips:
- On hot days, guests of all ages may find a refreshing sprinkle of water in the Princess Dot Puddle Park.
- Guests who need a break from the sun might check out “It’s Tough to be a Bug!,” which is presented in the air-conditioned Bug’s Life Theater.
- As you ride the attractions in this land, listen for familiar voices from the film, “A Bug’s Life.”
# # #