ANAHEIM, Calif. Dec. 31, 2013 – The Disneyland Resort concludes its Holiday festivities by bringing the Three Kings Day celebration to Disney California Adventure Park, Friday through Monday, Jan. 3-6, 2014. The Three Kings Day tribute marks the grand finale of “Disney ¡Viva Navidad!,” a fun and festive event that has been presented throughout the holiday season with a colorful street party, merry music and traditional Mexican foods.
Three Kings Day, also known as Dia de los Reyes Magos, has been celebrated for generations by the people of Spain, Mexico, Central America and other nations, as part of the Christmas story. It commemorates the day the three kings (the magi or “wise men”) followed the star to Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
In addition to the “Disney ¡Viva Navidad!” activities, guests at Disney California Adventure may take photos with sculptures of the Three Kings bearing gifts and also enjoy a traditional treat known as Rosca de Reyes. Children may participate in crafts and make paper crowns with sparkling “jewels.”
- The Three Kings Day celebration at Disney California Adventure unfolds in the Paradise Garden area, site of “Disney ¡Viva Navidad!,” which is inspired by the warmth and joyous holiday spirit of the Latino culture. The area is decorated with holly, banners and Latino cultural icons, including traditional “papel picado” hand-cut art decorations.
- Statues of the Three Kings will be displayed in Paradise Garden. Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Goofy also will appear there in “fiesta” costumes, along with The Three Caballeros: Donald Duck and Panchito from Mexico, and José Carioca from Brazil.
- Jan. 3-6 will be the final days to enjoy the exciting “Disney ¡Viva Navidad! Street Party.” Performing six times daily, it features the Three Caballeros on a colorful holiday float, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse transported on brightly decorated street tricycles, flag-bearers carrying papel picado banners, Mexican folklorico dancers, samba dancers and drummers, plus giant “Mojiganga” puppets, including Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus.
- At the Paradise Garden bandstand, guests may enjoy performances by traditional Mariachi, Norteño, and other regional music groups. Also at Paradise Garden, community music and folklorico troupes perform throughout the day.
- Three Kings Day guests will enjoy the ongoing “¡Viva Navidad!” arts and crafts, storytelling and face-painting, along with a selection of unique merchandise.
- Dining locations in Paradise Garden continue to offer popular Mexican food options in honor of the holidays. Menus feature Mexican dishes such as pozole (hearty stew), chicken mole drumettes, pescado (fish) Veracruzano, champurrado (Mexican-style hot chocolate), sweet tamales, torta al pastor (pork sandwich), buñuelos (deep-fried sweet treat) and choco flan. Traditional Rosca de Reyes bread is offered for Three Kings Day.
- The Three Kings Day festivities add to all the holiday fun at the Disneyland Resort, including nightly snowfall on Main Street, U.S.A., “A Christmas Fantasy” parade, “it’s a small world” Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday attractions in Disneyland Park, plus bell-ringing carolers, special Cars Land décor and the dazzling new “World of Color – Winter Dreams” holiday water spectacular in Disney California Adventure Park.
To join the conversation regarding Disneyland Resort at the Holidays, guests may use the hashtag #DisneyHolidays.
About the Disneyland Resort
The Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and the reimagined Disney California Adventure Park – plus three hotels and the Downtown Disney District, comprised of unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which also features 50 two-bedroom equivalent DVC units; the magical, newly renovated, 973-room Disneyland Hotel – both AAA Four Diamond properties – and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” fun. For information on attractions and vacations at Disneyland Resort, visit www.disneyland.com, call (866) 43-DISNEY or contact local travel agents.
# # #