Serves 4 to 6
Vegetable, canola, or corn oil, for frying
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
- Fill a heavy-bottomed deep sauté pan with enough oil to reach 1 inch up sides. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 350°F. If you don’t have a deep-fry thermometer, use a piece of tortilla to test oil; tortilla should lightly brown after about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with paper towels; set aside. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large, shallow dish; set aside.
- Pierce each tortilla several times with the tines of a fork. This will help prevent large bubbles from forming on tortillas while frying.
- Using tongs, slowly lower 1 tortilla into hot oil. Fry 30 seconds to 1 minute, until light golden brown. Gently flip tortilla over and fry on second side 30 seconds to 1 minute, until light golden brown.
- Using tongs, lift fried tortilla from oil and hold vertically over pan to allow excess oil to drain. Transfer tortilla to baking sheet lined with paper towels; drain 1 minute, then dip into sugar-cinnamon mixture until well coated, shaking off excess.
- Place finished buñuelo on second baking sheet and repeat process with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens.
The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.,
and may not be reproduced without express permission.