Makes 22 tamales
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup honey
3 1/2 cups masa harina
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
1 1/2 cups finely diced fresh pineapple
3/4 cup vegetable oil or a cooking spray
22 dried cornhusks, soaked in boiling-hot water for 2 hours
- Combine pineapple juice, water, and honey in a large bowl, whisking until completely combined; set aside.
- Combine masa, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend until combined. Add shortening; blend until shortening is evenly distributed through masa.
- Add the salt and the baking powder. Using a whisk combine all ingredients.
- Add pineapple juice mixture, a cup at a time, until mixture resembles the consistency of mashed potatoes. (You may not use all of pineapple juice mixture.)
- Gently fold in raisins and pineapple. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Remove cornhusks from the water and drain. Spray insides of cornhusks with nonstick spray.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of tamale dough and place inside a cornhusk. Using your hands, shape dough into a rectangle in the lower, wider part of the husk. Fold right side, then left side over tamale dough. Fold up bottom edge. Repeat with remaining tamale dough and cornhusks.
- Add a few inches water to a large stockpot, and place a steamer basket inside. Place tamales in steamer, stacking no more than 2 high. Place pot over high heat to bring water to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low.
- Steam tamales about 1 hour, or until the tamales start to separate from the cornhusks. Check water level periodically, and add more water if needed.
- Remove pan from the heat and allow the tamales to rest 15 to 20 minutes while still covered. Serve warm.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens.
The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.,
and may not be reproduced without express permission.